Strolling and shopping in the grocery is one of my favorite things to do, I find it really relaxing after a long tiring day. It was an odd Saturday evening after a whole day training when I decide to hit my favorite grocery to unwind, seeing a stack of french baguette from a far with a buy 1 take 1 deal caught my eyes. Without thinking twice, I grabbed the baguettes and put it my cart.
I’ve never tried making bread puddings before, actually they are well-known in using leftover breads and usually made sweet. This savory bread pudding is very satisfying for breakfast along with a sunny side egg and fresh squeeze orange juice on the side.
No fancy ingredients involved in this recipe, just mix cream, milk, eggs and cheese plus the savory bits you want to throw in like ham, pepperoni, salami or in my case I used the good old spam would be great.
Savory Bread Pudding with Parmesan, Rosemary and Spam
- 1 loaf french baguette tear into pieces
- 3/4 cup cream
- 3/4 whole milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for toppings
- 1 medium size oninon
- 4-5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 tbs dried rosemary
- 3 tsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of Spam cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbps spanish paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- pork floss (optional)
1. Preaheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. Swirl olive oil in a 10-inch pie dish. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, saute garlic and onion. Set aside.
3. Cut spam into bite size pieces, fry until golden. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk in cream, milk, eggs, half of the parmesan cheese, spanish paprika, salt and pepper. Add the dried rosemary and sauteed garlic and onion in the mixture and pour it into the bread, let it sit for 15mins until the bread absorbed all the liquid. Spread the bread mixture in the pie dish.
5. Put in the spam pieces, remaining parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil over the top . Bake for 35-40mins or until it is puffed and golden. Cool for 10mins before serving.